Organization: VU University, Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM)
- Paolo Scussolini: Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM)
- Philip J. Ward: Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM)
- Paolo Scussolini
- Philip Ward
- Andreas Burzel
- Tianyi Luo
- Hessel Winsemius
The lack of information on flood protection standards in place worldwide has repeatedly been identified by both the research and practice communities as a huge bottleneck in the accurate assessment of flood risk, and therefore in efforts towards risk reduction. In response, over the last year the Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM) of the Vrije Univesiteit Amsterdam, Deltares, and the World Resources Institute have developed the first such database, named FLOPROS. In this workshop, we:
1) Presented the current, open-source version of the FLOPROS database;
2) Interacted with the potential end-users of the database (i.e., modellers, decision-makers) within the risk community, to understand their needs and thus better direct future activity in FLOPROS;
3) Discussed with experts strategies to increase the coverage and resolution of the database;
4) Defined a strategy to make the database openly available in an online platform, enabling both use and new contributions from the experts’ community. To foster exchange, we made use of mock-ups of an ideal participatory web portal apt to the purposes.
Check out a blog by Paolo Scussolini, VU Amsterdam, IVM on this topic and event.