- Berhanu Woldemichael, Director, Food Security Coordination Directorate, Ethiopia
- Martin John Owor, Commissioner, Disaster Preparedness and Management, Uganda
- Sunya Orre Morongei, Director of Technical Services of National Drought Management
- Liz Drake, Section Head Social Protection, Emergencies & Resilience, Senior Poverty, Hunger
- Massimo La Rosa, ECHO office in Nairobi, European Union
Scalable social safety nets can provide rapid, transparent financial support to targeted populations immediately following a shock. This session will explore the innovative work on scalable safety nets going on in several African countries. It highlighted the design and financing of such mechanisms, and discuss how they fit into the broader vision for disaster response in Africa.
Country perspectives from Berhanu Woldemichael, Martin John Owor, and Sunya Orre Morongei were followed by a discussion moderated by Berhanu Woldemichael.