- Esther Baur, Head Global Partnerships, Swiss Re
- Solomon Zegeye, Manager, Microinsurance Business, Nyala Insurance Company, Ethiopia
- Andrew Mude, Principal Economist, International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
- Erastus Ndege, Agronomist, APA Insurance Ltd
- Benjamin Njenga, Head of Business Analytics, Acre Africa
- Sayuri Teramoto, Agricultural Project Forumulation Advisor, JICA Ethiopia Office
Disaster insurance can deliver timely, reliable, financial support to affected populations following a disaster event. So far, however, insurance markets are not well developed in the region and rates of insurance coverage for agriculture and property are particularly low. This session explored the role macro- and micro- insurance schemes play in developing disaster insurance markets. It also explained how recent advances in technology can be used to expand coverage and reflect on lessons learnt from business cases around the region.