Submit a proposal for policy, technical or training sessions by August 10th!
On October 16-19, 2018 policy-makers and experts from Pacific Islands and around the world will gather in Port Vila, Vanuatu for the Understanding Risk Finance Pacific (URf Pacific) forum, co-organized by the World Bank’s Disaster Risk Financing and Insurance Program (DRFIP) and the Government of Vanuatu. URf Pacific is part of the PCRAFI Program, which supports regional efforts to strengthen the financial resilience of PICs through generous contributions from Canada, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Over four days of exciting discussions and in-depth trainings, URf Pacific will offer a platform to explore the challenges and opportunities of managing disaster risk in Pacific Island Countries, and Small Island States more broadly. URf Pacific will bring together policymakers, financial risk managers, and development partners to strengthen regional collaboration on climate and disaster risk finance. Interactive sessions will showcase innovative approaches in government action, community engagement, and private sector solutions, focusing on two core themes:
- Understanding Risk: improving the way risk information is gathered, analyzed, and communicated to better manage disaster risk
- Building Financial Resilience: planning ahead to better manage the financial and humanitarian impacts of disasters
To create an exciting and engaging technical program, sessions are being crowdsourced from partners across the region and globally. The program will reflect a breadth of perspectives on climate and disaster resilience in the Pacific, covering topics such as: the role of science and technology; risk communication; lessons from traditional knowledge and practices; community-based and nature-based solutions to strengthen resilience; linking early warnings to early action; best practices in effective relief and response; the role of the private sector in managing disaster impacts; consideration on public financial management; sovereign risk financing; insurance-based solutions and catastrophic risk transfer.
- Strengthen collaboration on climate and disaster risk finance among Pacific Island Countries, and across Small Island States
- Provide opportunities for knowledge exchange among countries and between regional organizations
- Capture best practices and identify areas for collaboration on disaster risk finance and insurance among PICs and with global partners