From Knowledge to Action – An exploration of actionable strategies to reduce earthquake and flood risks in the Georgia Basin
Read the UR+Vancouver 2017 Report.
About Understanding Risk Vancouver 2017
The UR+ Vancouver symposium assembled people from across Southwestern British Columbia to share knowledge and perspective on what it means to live with earthquake and flood risks, and to develop innovative solutions that will help build long-term resilience to future disaster events and the impacts of climate change. Insights and knowledge gained through this process have been shared with planners and policy analysts in the region — and the broader community through the global Understanding Risk platform.
Some of the questions explored include:
- What are the likely impacts and consequences of a catastrophic earthquake in BC ?
- Who and what are most vulnerable to flooding in the Fraser Valley ?
- What is our capacity to withstand and recover from these catastrophic events ?
- How do we work together to increase disaster resilience in the region?
- Which risk reduction strategies are most effective and how do we best implement them ?
About the Understanding Risk Community
The Understanding Risk (UR) Community is the pre-eminent platform for collaborating and sharing knowledge in the field of disaster risk assessment. Created in 2009 by the World Bank’s Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery, the UR Community convenes every two years at the global UR Forum to showcase the latest innovations and build new partnerships to foster advances in the field. The UR+ Vancouver symposium is a spinoff event that is designed to maintain the spirit of the global UR forum at national, regional and local settings.
Learn more: https://understandrisk.org/
Continuing Professional Learning
Understanding Risk Vancouver 2017 is eligible for the following Professional Planning CPL units:
- Wednesday, March 29 – 2.0 Organized/Structured CPL units
- Thursday, March 30 – 6.0 Organized/Structured CPL units
- Friday, March 31 – 4.0 Organized/Structured CPL units
- TOTAL: 12.0 Organized/Structured CPL units
View the agenda here or download a PDF version here.
For more information, visit EERI’s UR Vancouver webpage: https://eeri-bc.wildapricot.org/UR-Vancouver
- Mind the Gap: Working together to address gaps in earthquake and flood risk reduction planning
- Communicating Risk Across Communities: Tools and capabilities for transforming knowledge into action
- Charting a Path Toward Lifeline Resilience: Critical infrastructure interdependencies and opportunities for increased disaster resilience