Terms of Reference – Senior Disaster Risk Management Consultant (STC)
Urban and DRM Unit (GSURR), Europe & Central Asia Region, World Bank Group
The Europe and Central Asia (ECA) Region is prone to a wide range of adverse natural events, such as earthquakes, floods, landslides, droughts, strong winds, and storms. Vulnerability to disasters increased as urbanization and development led to the occupation of areas exposed to natural hazards, and is further exacerbated by climate change.
The ECA region has been promoting a proactive and strategic approach to managing disaster risk. The underlying thrust has been that both loss of life and the economic impact of disasters can be reduced by advanced planning and investments. In order to pursue this goal, the Global Practice for Social, Urban, Rural and Resilience of the World Bank has been engaging with and supporting clients in key areas of the disaster risk management (DRM) framework, concentrating on the following elements: (i) disaster risk assessments at the regional and country level by analyzing the vulnerability and potential effects and impact of disasters; (ii) enhancing client capabilities in monitoring and forecasting of natural hazards by supporting modernization of hydro-meteorological services and creating effective operational links with emergency management authorities; (iii) mitigating risk through investments in flood risk protection, seismic risk retrofitting or reconstruction, improvements in building codes, and land-use planning incorporating the knowledge of disaster-prone zones; (iv) enhancing disaster preparedness through support to emergency response functions, emergency management coordination, emergency communication and information systems, and raising public awareness; (v) catastrophe risk financing through introduction of innovative risk transfer tools, such catastrophe risk insurance; (vi) supporting resilient recovery, that is, recovery and reconstruction efforts that follow the principle of “build back better” rather than recreating the original risk.
Global Practice for Social, Urban, Rural and Resilience of the World Bank assists our clients through lending (including sector investment loans), implementation support (supervision), and advisory, knowledge, technical assistance, and fee based services.
To work as the Senior Disaster Risk Management Consultant at the World Bank to assist the Task Team Leaders (TTLs) of ECA DRM team through the following tasks:
- Act as the focal point on World Bank DRM projects and programs in Central Asia;
- Liaise with government’s line ministries, such as Ministry/Committee of Emergency Situations, Ministry of Finance and other key ministries and government agencies, to support the implementation of World Bank DRM projects and programs;
- Support the World Bank project teams in client relations and communications, including: (i) drafting and filing correspondence with clients; and (ii) organizing and participating in teleconferences, videoconferences and other meetings with clients and/or Bank and partners;
- Organize technical level as well as high-level seminars, workshops, and conferences related to the World Bank DRM projects and programs, with the support of World Bank country office team and the TTLs;
- Provide technical advice and support to the TTLs and team members working for the World Bank DRM projects and programs;
- Review technical documents and provide technical inputs for Terms of References, reports, guidelines, etc. to be developed through the World Bank DRM projects and programs, contribute to and participate in the preparation and carrying out of implementation support missions, including actively participating in meetings and contributing and leading the development of mission documents;
- Develop work plans for the World Bank DRM projects and programs and update regularly based on the progress and in coordination with national authorities and development partners;
- Coordinate the preparation of consolidated progress reports, project briefings and other relevant monitoring information to inform the TTL and team members, clients, donors, and development partners in an organized manner and with adherence to the Bank’s quality guidelines;
- Strengthen in-country partnerships and coordinate with relevant international agencies, development partners, and donors relating to the World Bank DRM projects and programs;
- Attend and present World Bank’s work on DRM and the content of the World Bank DRM projects and programs in relevant workshops, fora, and conferences, as necessary;
- Prepare lessons learned and best practice pieces based on the Program, when necessary;
- Provide technical inputs and support to Bank teams working on projects relevant to DRM;
- The consultant will be responsible for completing these specific tasks, as well as other requests made by the TTL within the needs of the disaster risk management team.
This support could be provided remotely or as part of a mission.
III. Consultant Qualifications and Competencies
The consultant should have:
- Master’s degree in public administration, engineering, disaster risk management, or other discipline related to disaster risk management;
- At least 8 years of professional experience or equivalent combination of education and professional experience on disaster risk management;
- Demonstrated familiarity and work experience on disaster risk management in Central Asia;
- Experience in managing projects and programs of bilateral donors and/or international organizations;
- Strong organizational, research, and oral presentation skills;
- Ability to develop and deliver multiple tasks against strict deadlines and work independently; and,
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentational skills in both English and Russian.
- Assignment Details
Starting date: ASAP
Assignment duration: until June 30, 2018 (with possibility for multiple year engagement)
Number of days: Minimum 30 days until June 2018. For following years, 90 to 120 days per fiscal year, depending on expertise of candidate and business portfolio.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to Yann Kerblat – email@example.com with “Senior Disaster Risk Management Consultant + NAME” as subject line by March 05 2018.
Organization: World Bank Group