Terms of Reference
The Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR) helps high-risk, low-income developing countries better understand and reduce their vulnerabilities to natural hazards, and adapt to climate change. Working with over 400 partners—mostly government agencies, civil society, and technical organizations—GFDRR provides grant financing for on-the-ground technical assistance and analytical work to support the mainstreaming of disaster and climate resilience into country development strategies. GFDRR is managed by the World Bank and funded by 22 donor partners.
About the Position
GFDRR is looking for a talented writer and digital communications consultant to support a wide range of communications products and campaigns.
The Consultant should have strong writing and online communications skills, as he/she will produce and manage content for the GFDRR website and social media channels. The Consultant must enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changing needs, and be able to work with a diverse group of colleagues.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Draft communications materials (i.e. stories, program factsheets, GFDRR Annual Report, press releases, talking points and briefs for management, blogs etc.)
- Help develop and implement campaigns around flagship events and publications
Website and Social Media
- Prepare, package and adapt content for the GFDRR website (stories, blogs etc.)
- Upload content to the website and help manage GFDRR’s social media channels (Twitter, Flickr and YouTube)
- Compile and publish metrics reports (web and social media); follow up on recommendations
Event Management and Design
- Support preparation and promotion of high-level events, including the Resilience Dialogue, the Understanding Risk forum, and GFDRR donor meetings
- Format materials like results stories, newsletters, donor meeting documents etc. using GFDRR design templates.
- Work with design firm on flagship publications like the Annual Report; help update and maintain
- GFDRR branding guidelines, and provide templates and guidance to GFDRR teams to ensure GFDRR branding is consistent across all marketing materials and knowledge products.
- BA (MA a plus) in Communications/Journalism, English, International Affairs, or other related field and 3-5 years of experience in a similar role
- Strong writing skills; able to prepare and edit communication products under minimum supervision, and develop drafts in a clear, concise style
- Experience working with html and content management systems, in particular Drupal, and design tools like Photoshop and InDesign
- Demonstrated working knowledge and application of digital and social media communications principles
- Ability to take initiative and produce high-quality deliverables within short deadlines
Location and Reporting
The Consultant will be based in Washington, D.C., for an initial 30-day assignment beginning February 1, 2016 with potential for extension. The Consultant will report to the Senior Communications Officer, GFDRR.
How to Apply
Note: CV should include a section on technical and design skills
The deadline for applications is January 5, 2015.
Organization: Global Facility for Disaster Reduction and Recovery (GFDRR)
Deadline to Apply: January 5, 2016