This publication provides an overview of the impacts of the El Niño phenomenon on agriculture and food security in 2015-2016. Current consequences at global, regional and country level are highlighted (including data on crop production; livestock production; number of food insecure people) as well as the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) actions and funding requirements.
Some of the measures undertaken by the FAO for resilience building include:
- establishing community-based early warning systems;
- rehabilitating water catchments to increase water storage capacity;
- distributing improved seeds and conducting animal disease surveillance;
- providing technical support to the Ministry of Agriculture in conducting field monitoring;
- promoting good practices and technologies;
- improving the resilience of agroecosystems through training.
Download it here.
- Food and Agricultural Organization